Brigadier General Stancil L. Dilda Jr.
Brigadier General Stancil L. “Larry” Dilda Jr. last served as deputy chief of staff for communications and computer systems, Headquarters Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, NE before retiring in 1991.
General Dilda was born in Fountain, N.C., in 1940, and graduated from Farmville (N.C.) High School in 1958. He earned a bachelor’s degree in agricultural engineering from North Carolina State College in 1963 and a master’s degree in counseling and guidance from Troy State University in 1974. The general completed Squadron Officer School in 1968, Air Command and Staff College in 1974, Industrial College of the Armed Forces in 1980, Stanford University’s Senior Executive Management Program in 1985 and the Defense Systems Management College in 1988.
He received his commission in the Air Force through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program in 1963 and entered undergraduate pilot training at Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas, in June 1964. He subsequently graduated from the basic communications-electronics school, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss., in 1966. General Dilda then was assigned to Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas, where he formed the maintenance division of the 602nd Tactical Control Group. In 1968 he was assigned to Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand, where he initially served with the 1974th Communications Group as chief of both the Radar NAVIDS Maintenance Branch and Maintenance Management Branch. In February 1969 he became chief of maintenance for the 1973rd Communications Squadron at Udorn.
General Dilda was assigned as aide-de-camp to the commander of the Pacific Communications Area, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii, in August 1969. After he returned to the continental United States, he attended Air Command and Staff College. Upon graduation in June 1974, he was assigned as executive officer to the commander of the Air Force Communications Service, Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base, Mo. He remained in that position until July 1977, when he assumed command of the 1913th Communications Squadron, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
From September 1979 to June 1980 General Dilda attended the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C., and then was assigned as chief, Readiness and Integration Division, Directorate of Operations and Readiness, Headquarters Defense Communications Agency. He subsequently served as chief of the Readiness, Concepts and Analysis Office, and as DCA chief of staff.
In February 1983 the general transferred to Offutt and assumed duties as vice commander, Strategic Communications Division. He concurrently served as assistant deputy chief of staff for communications and electronics, Strategic Air Command headquarters. In July 1984 he assumed duties as chief of staff for the newly formed Headquarters Strategic Information Systems Division, also at Offutt. After graduation from the Stanford Senior Executive Management Program in August 1985, he was assigned as chief of staff for Headquarters Air Force Communications Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He assumed his present duties in August 1986.
His military awards and decorations include the Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with “V” device and two oak leaf clusters, Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with four service stars, and Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.
He was promoted to brigadier general Aug. 1, 1988, with same date of rank.
(Current as of October 1990, retrieved from http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=5229)